
Andy Dick is speaking out after he was found unresponsive on a Los Angeles street from an apparent drug overdose.
The troubled comedian, 59, reportedly spoke to TMZ by phone on Tuesday night and said “he’s alive and relieved he’s OK” following the scary incident earlier in the day, the outlet wrote.
However, the “Ben Stiller Show” actor didn’t detail exactly what happened or what he may have taken before his collapse.
The Post has reached out to Dick’s rep for further comment.
Dick caused concern Tuesday after passersby found him slumped over on the stairs of a building in his Hollywood neighborhood.
His eyes were closed and his glasses were on the ground. A bystander attempted to help the star sit back up, TMZ reported, while another shouted for someone to grab Narcan — the life-saving medication used to reverse opioid overdoses. Someone apparently had the antidote and administered it, and Dick regained consciousness shortly after.
First responders were called to the scene to treat an overdose, the LA Fire Department told TMZ, but the comedian did not go to the hospital for further evaluation.
Dick opened up about his battle with alcohol and drug addiction, as well as his numerous attempts to get sober, during an interview with Vice in 2016.
The “Employee of the Month” actor revealed that he had attempted sobriety 20 times by the end of 2014.
“I had to stop drinking, or I was going to die,” he said from a sober-living facility in Malibu at the time. “I could see it very clearly. I was bleeding out of my ass. I was going to die.”
“I would drink when I was happy, when I was sad, when I was anxious,” he explained. “Without drugs or alcohol, I was depressed, frustrated, angry.”
The “Zoolander 2” actor claimed that he struggled to get help because no rehabilitation facilities were willing to take him.
“When I would get hold of one of the recovery centers, they would hang up when they found out it was me,” he shared. “No one wanted to help me because I was unhelpable. Why would they bring me in just to have me die in their bed?”
Dick’s legal troubles, meanwhile, have continued to mount amid his struggles with severe drug and alcohol addiction.
He was reportedly arrested for felony assault with a deadly weapon in 2021, followed by further arrests in 2022 for felony sexual battery and felony burglary.
That same year, following a previous conviction from 2018, Dick was ordered to register as a sex offender.
Then, in 2023, the comedian was taken into custody once again for public intoxication and for failure to register as a sex offender.
If you or someone you know is struggling with substance abuse, contact the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s helpline at 1-800-662-HELP (4357).
Source link
#Comedian #Andy #Dick #speaks #suffering #apparent #overdose #Hollywood #street
